Can a G-25 Provide Effective Global Governance?
Major global issues in the 21st Century:
1. Resolving international conflicts peacefully.
2. Providing economic prosperity for all.
3. Protecting the natural environment.
4. Regulating the global financial system.
5. Supporting a healthy global culture.
Major accomplishments of the U.N.:
1. World Health Organization.
2. Millennium Development Goals.
3. East Timor.
Major problems with the U.N.
1. General Assembly – Africa has 53 votes while North America has 3.
2. Security Council veto.
Major benefits of the G-20
1. Includes representatives from countries with 65% of the world’s population producing 90% of Gross World Product (see www.g20.org).
2. A group small enough (19 countries plus the European Union) to allow for meaningful discussion, negotiation and agreements.
Major problems with the G-20
1. 35% of the world’s population producing 10% of GWP not represented.
2. No standing organization.
1. Increase the G-20 to G-25 to provide representation for the 35% of the world’s population not represented in the G-20.
2. Create a permanent G-25 organization led by world leaders not representing any nationality (e.g. Bill Gates) to focus attention on major long-term global issues.